Recommendations...

Jon 'maddog' Hall maddog at li.org
Tue Jun 15 14:22:08 EDT 2010

>The X86_64 benchmarks beat the IA64 in many cases.

They did not call the IA64 architecture the "Itanic" for nothing.

To be fair, a lot of the libraries for X86_64 have probably had a lot
more eyes go over them and more optimizations done than for the IA64,
particularly for Linux.

On the other hand, I just do not agree with Ultra-Wide Instruction Sets,
and they do not agree with me.

>Graphics performance is also better in 64-bit mode.

May have other reasons than just larger virtual address utilization, but
noted.

md