Spike in SSH attacks

Ted Roche tedroche at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 10:04:59 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 9:28 AM, Benjamin Scott <dragonhawk at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Apparently attackers are going after "keyboard interactive"
> authentication, which is separate from "password authentication".

So, even if I have set PasswordAuthentication no in my sshd_config,
there's still a way to ssh into the server without a key pair? That's
confusing.

Time to break out the dog-eared snail book and get a refresh...

Oh, a reminder: a fellow GNHLUGer told a tale not too long ago about
testing ssh changes: always keep an exiting connection open when
you're making changes. This way, when you lock yourself out of making
new connections with the changes, you can use your old connection to
reverse the changes. A good lesson learned. By someone else!

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC