E-mail is now reproducing in the wild?

Benjamin Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 15:35:21 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 2:49 PM,  <VirginSnow at vfemail.net> wrote:
> The duplicate messages from @gmail and @yahoo addresses all appear to
> have the same Message-ID as their copies BUT, somehow, the MIME
> boundary string in the duplicate message differs from the original.
> Any idea how that can be?

  Something's broken somewhere, obviously.

  Since it's happening for multiple senders, I'd say the problem's
likely on the receiving end.  Either your mail host, or your own
systems.

  Are you doing anything funky with mail filtering/forwarding/reprocessing/etc.?

  If you're just, say, POP'ing mail directly into Thunderbird, or
something equally vanilla, I'd suggest contacting your mail host
(vfemail.net, I guess).

  If you're using fetchmail to suck mail off a POP server and then
bounce it through an anonymizer in France to an IMAP mailbox in Sweden
which you access through Tor and nmh and an as-yet-unreleased imapfs,
well, maybe you might want to ratchet down the crazy a few notches
before contacting your ISP.  :-)

-- Ben