UPS electrical problem

Dan Jenkins dan at rastech.com
Tue Jun 29 21:54:52 EDT 2010

  On 6/29/2010 9:33 PM, Greg Rundlett (freephile) wrote:
> I have my Linux "Media Center", a Dell Studio Hybrid PC, 2 1TB Fantom
> external drives and a 25" lcd monitor plugged into an APC Backups Pro 500
> UPS on the battery+surge protection side.
>
> Within the past week, when the household thermostat kicks on or off the
> central A/C system, the PC shuts off instantaneously.  Other electronics do
> not seem to be affected, although they probably are.  It's just harder to
> confirm since a flicker in the drive or monitor power would be hard to
> observe.   I assume that a sag or surge gets through the UPS and affects my
> PC, but don't understand how that can happen when I thought that's what the
> UPS was supposed to prevent.  And, short of replacing the UPS, I'm not sure
> what to do about it.  Is there something I can do to prevent this sag/surge
> event -- since it's likely to affect something else?
In my experience, that is usually a sign that the UPS battery is shot.
On any power twitch, the UPS switches over to the battery, which has no
capacity, and shuts everything off. How old is the UPS' battery? The
Backups Pro 500 is a fairly old model, as in Windows 98 era, if I recollect.

--
Dan Jenkins, Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, USA, 1-603-206-9951
*** Technical Support Excellence for four decades.