Multiple X Terminals, One Box

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Mon Mar 1 13:43:13 EST 2010

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 1:28 PM, Thomas Charron <twaffle at gmail.com> wrote:

>  What I'm attempting to do is to connect 2 monitors, keyboard, and
> mice to one machine, and have two seperate X sessions, one on each
> screen.  I recall this being possible with some hacks some time ago,
> but I recall it required a kernel hack as normally, only one VT is
> allowed at a time.
>
>  Anyone had any experience with this?

I've seen stuff like synergy that uses VNC to make one desktop span multiple
machine running same/different OSen.

You want 1 machine, with 2 people logged into it, each with a different
monitor/keyboard/mouse assigned.

VNC already does something like this with :1, :2, :3 for each new
vncserver.  It certainly should be possible to assign specific
monitor/key/mouse to specfic groups.

I've seen a display only with 3 screens on :50 for system monitoring.  No
keyboard/mouse.  I wish I had saved some of the config details.