pvcreate to raid1 fails

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Thu Mar 4 07:44:32 EST 2010

On 03/03/2010 09:53 PM, Benjamin Scott wrote:
>  Neat.  Whoever wrote that code split the error message across
> multiple adjacent C literal strings.  Sometimes I wonder if
> programmers are deliberately making our lives harder.

You should have seen how we did it in lint on Tru64. Part of it used a
message catalog, part used its own internal message array.

Basically, when I write code I try to keep my lines under 80 columns for
readability, but I also don't like to break up my messages that way
either.  That is why I shortened the search.

> Is the incredibly-large-number different for different runs of the
> program?  (If so, it's prolly an uninitialized variable; if not, it's
> prolly broken program logic doing something consistently non-sensible.
>  Not that that helps us much.)
>
>   I note that you're running x86-64.  I wonder if it's programmer
> brain damage, assuming that all integers are 32 bits wide.

I think it it more of an uninitialized variable issue, but I did not
trace the code back that far. My time is a bit crunched this week.

BTW: I appreciate the insight on this. IMHO, this is a bug in the LVM2
library, and I may file a bugzilla on it when I can grab more info. I'm
brain damaged by the Digital compiler guys who used to beat the Hell out
of me in the ZKO caf when I would file a bug report, especially Ed Vogel :-)

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix