Interesting article,

Brian Chabot brian at datasquire.net
Thu Mar 4 11:43:25 EST 2010

Chris wrote:
> I don't agree with all of it, but it does put a few things in perspective.
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=7532&tag=nl.e539

I do not agree with the author of the article either.

His arguments seem only based on a limited experience of what Linux has
to offer.

I know that Mandriva Linux, even its free version has already overcome
the hurdles he mentions long ago:

No gaming support - Mandriva has an entire product line devoted to
gaming, but the gaming developers didn't work with it and the end users
didn't try it out.  It was subsequently dropped.

Little/no OEM support - Mandriva has had an OEM certification program
for years.

No iPod support - Amarok.  Right out of the box.

No migration tool - Mandriva has has a built-in migration tool for quite
some time now - Transfugdrake - right in the System area of the control
center.

Driver/hardware confusion - For 90% of hardware out there, you don't
need it.  "Also, the fact that there’s no such thing as a “works with
Linux” logo..."  Yes, there is.  I have a bunch of stickers with the one
I designed and I'm sure there are others.

Free tech support dries up - http://www.mandrivausers.org

Confusion about distro differences - OK, I'll give him that one.

Brian