Interesting article,

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Thu Mar 4 14:37:32 EST 2010

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 12:36 PM, Benjamin Scott <dragonhawk at gmail.com>wrote:

>  For the TL;DR crowd: Zealotry does not help the cause.  It hurts.
>
>  Reality check time.  I suggest zealots take note.  The way you and I
> think is not how most mainstream people think.  If you insist on
> closing your eyes to how the people complaining see things, don't be
> surprised when they continue to complain and just get pissed off.
>
>  If you tell them someone all their concerns about Linux are moot,
> they may *believe you*.  That sets up false expectations.  Then they
> try Linux and discover it *isn't* just like MS Windows.  It's better
> in many ways, worse in some others.  But you told them their concerns
> were a non-issue, when it turns out they still matter.  At best, they
> will feel let down.  At worst, they will go back to Windows, because
> they will feel Linux lies about what it can deliver.
>
>  When I promote Linux, I always make sure I make it clear that like
> is not all roses and sunshine.  I disclose the weaknesses.  But I also
> sell the strengths.  Freedom, and low cost, and robustness, and
> security, and choice, and all that good stuff.  It's then up to the
> listener to decide if they want to give it a try, making a
> well-informed decision.

s/Linux/MacOSX/

Well, except MacOSX has specific hardware.  Buy it and anything else sold at
the  Apple Store and it will work.  If it doesn't, the nice people there
will help fix it.

Go to the MegaStore for a printer/keyboard/webcam/software and it might work
if it says it will on the package.  The store people above might help if it
doesn't.

Install MacOSX on a Dell and you're doing Hackintosh.  You deserve what you
get and are violating the EULA on MacOSX.  You may even be breaking the law.