Interesting article, games

Benjamin Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 18:25:35 EST 2010

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 6:12 PM, Star <nhstar at gmail.com> wrote:
> There have been a couple of great releases specifically targeting
> Linux as a platform.  I'm thinking of Unreal, EVE, and Farcry (i
> think?)

  Again, a few counter-examples does not mean the overall trend is untrue.  :)

> With all of the differing distros, and all of the different ways to
> install software (without compiling) it's hard for any releasing
> company to package for "Linux" as a whole.

  That's a good point.  There are technical challenges as well as business ones.

  The fact that the Ubuntu, Fedora, GNOME, and KDE communities all
seem to love reinventing the wheel doesn't help.  It's bad enough that
they're so keen to throw out 25 years of Unix history, but they also
throw out their own stuff with depressing regularity, saying "This
time for sure!" with the latest replacements.  It's real hard to build
anything when you keep ripping down the foundation.

> Then there's the Sound integration...  You've got Pulse over
> here, eSound on that guy, he's playing with ALSA, and OSS ...

http://www.trilug.org/~crimsun/linuxaudio.png

-- Ben