Interesting article,

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Fri Mar 5 13:59:07 EST 2010

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Benjamin Scott <dragonhawk at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> And that's one of Apple's prime advantages.
> >
> > Advantage?  Well, for Apple, it is an advantages over MS, but certainly
> not
> > for the users.
>
>   Eh, I'm not sure about that.  If you buy from Apple's extremely
> limited pool of products, things tend to work together far better than
> I've seen on any Microsoft-compatible platform, even if you buy from a
> single vendor.

This follows with Sun products too.  Solaris on a Sun x86 workstation works
very well & everything works.  Put Solaris on a Dell and your mileage may
vary with network, sound and graphics drivers.  Linux has more drivers
ported and will usually just work where Solaris won't.

I have a Linux box at home to drive my SCSI tape drive because none of the
older SCSI PCI adapters I have are supported in 64 bit Solaris.  Some might
be supported in 32 bit Solaris.  Since they're older, Sun and the vendors
don't have much interest in porting the drivers.  There are a few open
source drivers out there, but nowhere near what Linux has.