Linux for "cloud computing": Request for Input

Jon 'maddog' Hall maddog at li.org
Fri Mar 5 14:55:34 EST 2010

>Virtualization?

Well, I did not mention virtualization before, since there are so many
answers for virtualization for different operating systems, but there is
an element of efficiency in virtualization and

>Too many choices.

A good point, but I think it is overblown for "uber" cloud computing
(Google, Amazon, Oracle, and other large "service" vendors) who either
roll their own (because they are big enough, and they can) or partner
with one of the "big guys" (Red Hat, Novell).

More of an issue for "private clouds", but I think that enterprise
companies will still go with "Enterprise vendors" like Red Hat, Novell,
Canonical, if only that their "private cloud" will match with their
"public cloud".

Small companies and ISPs that offer "cloud services" may see more choice
indecision, but they will have people who can analyze which is best or
will hire consultants, and that is why they will be paid the big
bucks. :-)

I do not think the "indecision factor" will be as great for cloud
computing as for the noobie trying to choose their first desktop distro.

Good points though.

md