The illegality of playing DVDs on Linux

Alan Johnson alan at datdec.com
Tue Mar 9 11:23:26 EST 2010

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 11:04 AM, Chip Marshall <chip at 2bithacker.net> wrote:

> Legal DVD playback in Linux is entirely possible, you just have
> to buy software to do it.

Yes, it is worth clarifying at this point that it is not Linux that is the
legal whipping boy, but GPL and/or other similarly open licenses that
prevent it from being legal.  Honestly, I don't fully understand the exact
point of contention, but I understand enough to be outraged that I can't
legally use software that some one gave me for free to play DVDs that I paid
for.  The concept of not being able to tell anyone else about it legally is
enough to raise my blood pressure to dangerous levels, so I try hard not to
think about it, which isn't helping the cause.  =/