Really old /proc weirdness?

Alan Johnson alan at datdec.com
Thu Mar 11 09:55:52 EST 2010

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 9:33 AM, Ken D'Ambrosio <ken at jots.org> wrote:

> While I have no insights -- none -- into what's going on with your /proc
> weirdness, if triviata of that detail is significant to your system
> reproduction, I'd probably break down, blow away the (non-boot) files on
> the new server, tar everything over from the old one, and
> re-ip/re-hostname.

Before you go that far, you could do a recursive diff on /etc.  I'm guessing
it is not a difference in /proc or the kernel since top shows you what you
want/expect while ps doesn't.  My guess is that different defaults are in
play here.  That is, the defaults settings changed over the years, which
were maintained through the updates on the old system, but the newer system
has newer defaults from of newer install media.  Of course, this might not
be about defaults, but maybe just some obscure settings you missed deep in
the guts of /etc that some one tweaked.  Also, it might be an environment
varialbe set in either /etc or some user home dir.

Meld is a decent recursive GUI diff tool if you are looking for one.  If you
have an Ubuntu box, you can get it from their repos.