Starting an X11 client on another machine, without ssh

mark prgrmr at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 16:39:21 EDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 4:13 PM, Bill Freeman <f at ke1g.mv.com> wrote:

> Way back when I was at Digital (as it then was) and before, we used to have
> a tool called 'xon'.  It took as an argument the DNS name or IP address of
> a server on the net, connected to it, started a shell or optionally
> specified
> command, with the DISPLAY environment variable all set up, and maybe
> permissions
> as well (probably with xhost rather than .Xauthority).
>
> Googling doesn't seem to turn up xon, so it was either a local tool, or it
> has long fallen out of favor.  Maybe it was rsh based.
>
> Does anyone remember this thing?  It seems like ssh is overkill for talking
> to a VM on your own box.
>
> (And having figured out how to get rid of the -nolisten TCP when the X
> server
> is started, ssh's -X or -Y are certainly overkill.)
>
> Bill

At a previous job I got to work on a couple of DEC Alphas running DU 4.02g,
and we made some use of xon.

Googling various combinations of "motif +xon" and "Xwindows +xon" and
"common desktop environment" +xon turned up a few links with references to
xon the connectivity program and not just xon a.k.a. ctrl-Q, including this
gem from the past:

http://pauillac.inria.fr/~lang/hotlist/free/use/jameson/

mark