Starting an X11 client on another machine, without ssh

Kevin D. Clark kevin_d_clark at comcast.net
Tue Mar 23 18:13:29 EDT 2010

Bill McGonigle writes:

> 2a) possibly run ssh with the null cipher, so you just get session
> setup.  Then you're only talking about stream
> encapsulation/multiplexing time as a resource drag, and that can be
> incredibly efficient code (OS's do this all day long, layer upon
> layer).

This is not possible with any SSH implementation that I am familiar
with.

You might be thinking about the SSL/TLS ability to negotiate to a null
cipher/authentication scheme, but SSH!=SSL  (and most implementations
of anything decent that use SSL/TLS preclude you from using
these "null" schemes, probably for the same reasons that the people
who implement SSH do...).

Kind regards,

--kevin
--
alumni.unh.edu!kdc / http://kdc-blog.blogspot.com/
GnuPG: D87F DAD6 0291 289C EB1E 781C 9BF8 A7D8 B280 F24E

 Wipe him down with gasoline 'til his arms are hard and mean
 From now on boys this iron boat's your home
 So heave away, boys.
   -- Tom Waits