another reason to use adblock and noscript... or just use Linux

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Wed Mar 24 13:01:02 EDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 12:23 PM, Greg Rundlett (freephile) <
greg at freephile.com> wrote:

> Apparently the ad networks of Fox, Google, and Yahoo have been distributing
> ads which contain malicious javascript.  This means that all you have to do
> is surf the web to have your system infected with malware... wait, that
> isn't really new.  It's just a sad reminder of how easy it is for "regular
> users" to have their systems compromised.
>
> Of course, you can just run Linux and you're system won't be vulnerable to
> most if not all such 'scareware'.  But, for those who must use Windows, it's
> another reminder to use better browsers (e.g. Firefox and Chrome) with
> additional privacy and security elements (e.g. adblock and noscript).

adblock and noscript can also make browsing faster with firefox because they
block the download.

chrome's adblock still downloads the ad, but it doesn't display it.  I don't
think noscript is on chrome yet.

When I go to a site that noscript blocks, I might want to allow it.  When
noscript is allowed, it reloads.  Usually this lets me go on my way.  Some
sites will set some kind of cookie and not allow me to reload.  Coupon
sites, surveys, polls, webkins are typical.  The only way to clear some of
them is to flush the history & cache of the site and try again.  This only
happens the 1st time I go to a site.

This is way beyond the typical user threshold of inconvenience.  Heck, it's
a pain to me and I understand and appreciate doing things for security.