another reason to use adblock and noscript... or just use Linux

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Thu Mar 25 22:42:09 EDT 2010

On 03/24/2010 01:48 PM, Benjamin Scott wrote:
>    For now.  Right now, the attackers go after Windows, because 90% of
> the users run Windows.  (With a higher percentage of easily-duped
> users.)

Have you heard that the Windows malware game now involves various
packages each trying to disable and uninstall each other? (sometimes
breaking the system while trying).  They're competing for resources.

Given more than nine competing systems, the economics ought to favor one
of them going after the uncontested territory.  All things being equal,
of course - including both ease of compromise and programmer expertise.
  Still, lots of these are run by definitely-for-profit enterprises, so
they would be expected to hire the relevant resources if the investment
were worthwhile.

I have to admit, none of the commonly-offered explanations really seem
plausible without assuming diligent users (who won't just enter their
admin password whenever a dialog appears) on the unmolested platforms,
and that doesn't seem plausible either.

-Bill

--
Bill McGonigle, Owner
BFC Computing, LLC
Email, IM, VOIP: bill at bfccomputing.com
Social networks: bill_mcgonigle/bill.mcgonigle