Git Help

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Sun Mar 28 12:46:55 EDT 2010

Thomas Charron <twaffle at gmail.com> writes:

>   As a git newb, I've got a couple of questions about git which
> confuse me.  Any git users who might be able to explain?
>
>   If I'm in a directory and have made local modifications, and then I
> issue a git branch, what does the branch contain a copy of if I check
> it out?  The latest head?  Or does the branch branch whatever I'm
> working on to a new branch, which contains a copy of the state of the
> original branch?

This probably isn't the sort of answer for which you were looking--
and you've probably got going good with Git by now anyway, but just in case
someone who hasn't already thought of this will still find it interesting:

Bazaar has a plugin, called "bzr-git", that allows it to act as a Git client,
using Git repositories and servers on the back-end (alternately, it allows
Bazaar to be a front-end for Git, if you'd rather think of it in those terms).

Many people find the way that Bazaar works to be much easier to understand,
or find bzr tools to be more usable than the Git tools. And there shouldn't be
any repository-feature-mismatch issues, since Bazaar has a superset of
the record-keeping features that Git has (so bzr-git just throws data away
before it writes to a Git back-end, and asks Git to reconstruct it
heuristically on read).