SCO vs. Novell; Novell wins.

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Wed Mar 31 13:05:09 EDT 2010

On 03/31/2010 09:50 AM, Jeffry Smith wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 5:34 PM, Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org> wrote:

>>> It's really up to Judge Cahn (chapter 11 trustee) and the bankruptcy
>>> court. The IBM case was stayed when SCO filed chapter 11 as was the SCO
>>> vs. Novell, but that stay was lifted because the original case also
>>> included a financial claim against SCO.
>>>

>> Reading further in this morning's updates it does appear that SCO will
>> pursue the IBM case, and there are a few other cases with claims and
>> counter claims.  SCO's agreement with its attorneys, Bois Schiller,
>> obligate them to the end of the case. While this verdict does remove
>> some of the supports from it's IBM case, the underlying issue in the SCO
>> vs. IBM is the contract. SCO is claiming that IBM, in violation of its
>> contract contributed 3 derivative works, (1) SMP, (2) NUMA (through its
>> acquisition of Sequent), and (3) JFS - IBM claims the Linux JFS comes
>> from OS/2, not Unix. This actually goes back to the old AT&T Unix
>> contracts that had a 'derivative works' clause. IBM also has counter
>> claims against SCO.  Additionally, SCO can appeal this verdict, though
>> that is unlikely.  I think we will see in a few days what Judge Cahn
>> decides to do. While the IBM litigation is the major one, there is still
>> a few others under stay including the SUSE vs. SCO arbitration in Europe
>> regarding United Linux. I'm sure that IBM and Novell will push their
>> motions in the bankruptcy court to force SCO into chapter 7 now with
>> Novell clearly holding ownership to the copyrights.
>>

> If I read the documents at Groklaw right, IBM had a clause in their
> contract (and was confirmed by a Novell publication in I think it's
> called "Echos" - the publication of Unix, that stuff they owned was
> theirs.  The Sequent contract did NOT have such an explicit statement.
>  However, they also didn't have an explicit "we own the derivitives"
> clause.  Also, Sequent, and now IBM, own the patents on NUMA.   IBM
> not only claims Linux JFS came from OS/2 - they showed it in
> discovery.  Actually, their current AIX JFS comes from OS/2 - IBM
> reimplemented it from scratch in OS/2, and it was better than JFS1, so
> they ported it to both Linux and AIX.  TSCOG has been claiming since
> they put it in AIX, they couldn't put it in Linux.   Strange, but then
> again, TSCOG is living in a different world from reality.
>
> In addition, Novell had in the contract the ability to waive all
> claims - which they invoked.  Another get
>
> TSCOG is claiming that they own also the "methods and concepts" of
> Unix - not certain how this rulling will effect that, but it can't be
> good for TSCOG.
>
> Bottom line, Kimball through out most of TSCOG's charges, this shoots
> down most of  the rest, what's left is IBM's counter-charges, to
> include the misuse of IBM's GPL'd code (by attempting to extort Linux
> users in contravention of the GPL).   IBM's legal ground has gotten
> better as more courts have explicitly recognized the GPL because of
> [...]
Right now the ball is in Judge Cahn's court (well it is really Judge
Gross who is the bankruptcy judge). For the IBM case to proceed, Judge
Gross must lift the stay like he did with SCO vs. Novell.

Basically, what SCO is claiming in the IBM case is that the 3 products
were "derivatives" according to the wording of the AT&T contract.
Essentially, the IBM case today is verry different from its original.
But, we won't see any activity in Utah until either SCO appeals the
verdict (doubtful), Judge Gross lifts the stay (possible), or a motion
to convert to Chapter 7 is introduced. We'll see what SCO has up its
sleeves :-)

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix