SCO vs. Novell; Novell wins.

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Wed Mar 31 14:36:29 EDT 2010

On 03/31/2010 01:32 PM, Shawn O'Shea wrote:

> I'd also love to see the Red Hat v SCO trial continue (also stayed due
> to the bankruptcy proceedings). Red Hat basically took SCO to task for
> slandering Linux and making false claims of infringement, thereby
> damaging the good name of Red Hat's flagship product, their Linux distro.
>
> Groklaw has an excellent SCO litigation timeline, showing all the
> different major litigation happenings in the SCO saga.
> http://www.groklaw.net/staticpages/index.php?page=20080803065719599
Unfortunately I'm not sure Red Hat will have its day in court. The Red
Hat case was on hold waiting for verdicts on IBM and Novell. The first
thing that SCO (eg. Judge Cahn) needs to do is to evaluate how to
proceed now that they definitely do not own the copyrights. Both the IBM
and Red Hat cases represent liabilities.  Should they proceed with IBM?
They can't make it go away because of the counter claims unless they go
to Chapter 7.  It's not like Darth Vader is in charge any longer.  Cahn
is not a 'hope springs eternal' guy.  If there is a viable business
left, then they stay in Chapter 11, but if they continue downward, only
Chapter 7 remains unless they can find someone to bail them out. IMHO,
neither IBM nor Novell would benefit from buying SCO out. Maybe Cahn
with Yarrow's help can resuect them into Caldera again bringing with it
a new United Linux as well as an inferior, but nicely shrink-wrapped
Linux :-), but SCO has been full of surprises.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix