[OT] Terminal width (was: OpenOffice question)

Benjamin Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 19:22:26 EDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 2:50 PM, Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing.com> wrote:
> On 03/29/2010 09:34 PM, Benjamin Scott wrote:
>> "Yes, this means you'll be a better programmer if you get a bigger monitor."
>
> FWIW, I got a 24" LCD display for this reason, but it turns out to be
> slightly too large.  I have to turn my neck to see the entire screen.

  Increase the distance between the screen and your eyes.  HHOS.

  Something which I've long thought should be done but which no
mainstream OS GUI I've seen does well is increasing screen resolution
to increase quality of rendering while keeping the human information
density per inch around the same.  Practial upshot: Fonts and window
trim and the like rendered at a high DPI to improve their legiability,
while keeping text and widget sizes big for the many people who have
poorer eyesight.  I know plenty of people who can't make out anything
at a resolution much higher than 1024x768.  We've got these huge LCD
panels and tons of graphics horsepower being used for word processing
and spreadsheets; it'd be nice to put that to use making things easier
to read.

  (I run my LCDs at their highest resolution and a small font size;
I'm not one of those people.  But I sympathize with their plight.)

-- Ben