MythTV - HVR-2250 installation problem

James R. Van Zandt jrvz at comcast.net
Wed Mar 31 22:34:23 EDT 2010

Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing.com> writes:
>   I don't have experience with that particular card, but in general you
>   should be able to do:
>
>      mplayer /dev/video0
>
>   or for your 500:
>
>      mplayer /dev/video1
>
>   To see if the hardware and module are working.  I have a 500 and it's
>   given me no end of headaches, but for everything else besides the
>   /dev/video0 part, which works pretty well.

Thanks.  I got the PVR-500 working again, by configuring it as
"Card Type: IVTV MPEG-2 encoder card".

By the way, is there a way to get Mythtv to print out a plain text
version of its configuration?  Screen dumps of the GUI are awkward to
include in email.

My HVR-2250 still scans but doesn't let me see any programs.  But I
have both capture cards connected to the same source which I call
"Comcast".
I'm now thinking I need to:
 - configure two different sources (say, "Comcast-analog" and
"Comcast-QAM"),
 - use different cards to scan them, then
 - use the editor to manually delete all the analog channels from
 "Comcast-QAM" and
 - delete all the digital channels from "Comcast-analog"

Is there a better way?

I've also just discovered that in "watch TV" mode, the "M" key will
bring up a menu with a "switch source" option.  Not sure how to use
it, though.  At first I thought it was "choose the source for this
channel number", but it doesn't seem to work that way.  E.g. I'd tune
to some digital channel showing snow, change the source (I see three
options, all labeled "Comcast"), and get the "ion" channel.  But I can
tune to a different digital channel, go through the same procedure,
and get the "ion" channel again.

A simpler question: Comcast is using QAM-256 for the digital channels, right?

         - Jim Van Zandt