SCO vs. Novell; Novell wins.

Jeffry Smith jsmith at alum.mit.edu
Wed Mar 31 23:37:05 EDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 11:06 PM, Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org> wrote:
> On 03/31/2010 01:32 PM, Shawn O'Shea wrote:
>>
>> I'd also love to see the Red Hat v SCO trial continue (also stayed due
>> to the bankruptcy proceedings). Red Hat basically took SCO to task for
>> slandering Linux and making false claims of infringement, thereby
>> damaging the good name of Red Hat's flagship product, their Linux distro.
>>
>> Groklaw has an excellent SCO litigation timeline, showing all the
>> different major litigation happenings in the SCO saga.
>> http://www.groklaw.net/staticpages/index.php?page=20080803065719599
> Unfortunately I'm not sure Red Hat will have its day in court. The Red
> Hat case was on hold waiting for verdicts on IBM and Novell. The first
> thing that SCO (eg. Judge Cahn) needs to do is to evaluate how to
> proceed now that they definitely do not own the copyrights. Both the IBM
> and Red Hat cases represent liabilities.  Should they proceed with IBM?
> They can't make it go away because of the counter claims unless they go
> to Chapter 7.  It's not like Darth Vader is in charge any longer.  Cahn
> is not a 'hope springs eternal' guy.

Well, Red Hat sued them, so they can't make that go away, and the main
thing left in the IBM case is the IBM counterclaims.  Whether they're
liabilities or not (and they're major liabilities), the decision to
stop them doesn't reside with TSCOG any more.  I don't think either
Red Hat or IBM are interested in settling.  IBM could have bought
TSCOG (which is probably what they wanted to begin with).

jeff