Wanted - SATA/PATA/USB2 SSD with bad sectors for bcache testing (and offer of bcache presentation)

William Stearns wstearns at pobox.com
Mon May 10 13:46:42 EDT 2010

Good afternoon, all,
 	"Seriously?  He wants _bad_ sectors?" I hear them say.  :-)

 	I'm working on a linux kernel project that uses SSD's to cache
normal rotating media hard drives.  bcache is in early development and not
stable for general use, but the performance numbers are enticing:

* md5sum of small files: 3.5MB/sec off hard drive, 14.5MB/sec off SSD
cache.

* directory listing of large fragmented tree: 390 seconds off hard drive,
202 seconds off SSD cache.

* md5sum of 1.995GB file with 23,522 extents: 251 seconds from HD
(7.948MB/sec), 82 seconds from SSD cache (24.329MB/sec).

 	On a side note, I'd be happy to give a talk with a live demo on
bcache to any gnhlug chapter; get in touch if you have an open month.

 	As part of the testing, I want to make sure that the code is
resilient enough to recognize bad sectors on the SSD cache and not
panic/bug/die.  That requires an SSD with bad sectors.  Size and speed are
not critical.  I have the ability to connect to sata, pata, and usb.
 	Anyone have one?

 	Before I get inundated with offers, I already have a hard drive
with underlying bad sectors for that part of the testing.  Come to think
of it, I probably have 15 to 20 hard drives with.... issues.  :-)
 	Cheers,
 	- Bill

 	"Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did, and it
never will.  Find out just what people will submit to, and you have
found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed
upon them; and these will continue until they are resisted with either
words or blows, or with both.  The limits of tyrants are prescribed by
the endurance of those whom they oppress."
 	-- Frederick Douglass, August 4, 1857
(Courtesy of Eric S. Raymond)