Nokia N900

David Rysdam david at rysdam.org
Thu May 13 08:19:19 EDT 2010

On 05/12/2010 06:13 PM, Joshua Judson Rosen wrote:
>     Cold tests
>
>          were performed when both Pocket PC and GPS receiver were
>          powered off (if GPS receiver has a separate power source, the
>          GPS receiver was unplugged) for a period of between 8 to 12
>          hours requiring a cold start.
>
>     Warm tests
>
>           Warm tests were performed when both Pocket PC and GPS
>           receiver were powered off (if GPS receiver has a separate
>           power source, the GPS receiver was unplugged) for a period
>           of 30 minutes
>
>     Hot tests
>
>           Hot tests were performed when both Pocket PC and GPS
>           receiver were powered off (if GPS receiver has a separate
>           power source, the GPS receiver was unplugged) for a period
>           of 15 minutes

You missed the colder-than-cold test:
-
Factory is where the receiver has no knowledge whatsoever of Almanac
data in turn to locate the satellites and retrieve Ephemeris data, and
for a full Almanac to be downloaded can take approx 12.5 mins, hence
most companies suggest a factory start of 15 minutes.
-

So we already know the N810 has to be worse than it should be, due to
multiple reports even on this list of >15 minute TsTFF.

Also, I apparently "cold test" my dedicated GPS 1-2 times per day.  It's
always read to be a GPS before I'm ready to be a driver.  Perhaps that
says more about how long it takes me to start driving than about how
fast my GPS is.

That said, I'll try to test it.  I'll assume the N810 needs a factory
start by this point and then start doing some cold timings.  Assuming it
doesn't take so long that I have to terminate the test.