network monitoring of firewalled/NAT'd systems

Michael ODonnell michael.odonnell at comcast.net
Tue May 18 17:48:15 EDT 2010

I wrote:
>We want to monitor (from a central server at HQ) the health and
>performance status of multiple machines [mostly Windows >-( ] at
>each of multiple customer sites despite them being NAT'd/firewalled.

...and then mentioned a bunch of features we're dreaming about.

A more specific question: does anybody even know of a package that
can do "passive monitoring"?  IOW, in our scenario some sort of
agent on each workstation would be responsible for initiating a
connection to HQ and pushing its own monitoring data back to our
central server since we'd not be able to initiate connections in
the other direction as they'd be blocked at the customer's firewall.