Firewall (iptables) rule to limit Apache connections

Dave Johnson dave-gnhlug-list at davej.org
Wed May 19 08:42:25 EDT 2010

Greg Rundlett (freephile) writes:
> I'm running Apache on a RedHat ES 4 with a 2.6.9 kernel.
>
> Occasionally we'll get a bunch of web requests from a single source (example
> user agent of HTTrack or Opera or IE5 will all give a user the ability to
> make a huge number of web requests).  This ties up our Apache server as all
> available workers are sending responses (and might be waiting on the
> client-side connection speed as well).  "Ties up" as in DoS -- nobody else
> can get to the website.

I use mod_limitipconn which does exactly that, limit connections based
on source IP, you can also restrict based on URL or content type:

ex:

    <Location />
       MaxConnPerIP 2
       # In this case, all MIME types other than audio/mpeg and video
       # are exempt from the limit check
       OnlyIPLimit audio/mpeg video
    </Location>

--