Fwd: Purchase order # CII0675

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Thu May 20 00:32:33 EDT 2010

> Hewlett Packard Request:
> 1. Original HP C6578DN Tricolor Inkjet Cartridge
> 2. Original HP Q7583A Color Sphere magenta laser toner cartridge
>
> Memory & Processor Request:
> 1. 2GB Kit 333MHZ DDR3 PC2700 (Any Brand).
> 2. BX80546PG3400E- 3.40E GHz 800 MHz 90 nm C0 1 MB 478 pin PPGA.

Easily fenced items.

> Payment Terms: Cashier's check on Delivery (COD)

If you ever post on Craigslist you'll get a bunch of these 'offers'.  They
send you a fake cashier's check (per Brian's comment), though they look
quite real these days.  Your bank honors it, and through the arcana of the
banking system, it comes back two weeks later as an invalid check and
you're responsible for the amount.

The scammers are absurdly dumb too - we have a minivan and a sleigh bed
frame up on Craigslist and have had requests to ship both in exchange for
cashier's checks.

I've only recently discovered the value of cashier's checks (they debit
instantly from your account - no chance of a bounced check fee if the
check is cashed in the distant future) but these guys seem intent on
ruining the system.

-Bill

--
Bill McGonigle, Owner
BFC Computing, LLC
Email, IM, VOIP: bill at bfccomputing.com
Social networks: bill_mcgonigle/bill.mcgonigle