Feedback desired: Minnesota Open Data bill

Shawn O'Shea shawn at eth0.net
Mon Nov 22 07:40:03 EST 2010

I haven't had a chance to read quite to the end since I need to get out the
door to school and then work, but I wanted to throw in a few comments.

In the definitions, 1.1.d, "Cyber Security" does not just apply to Internet
connected systems. They may have secure systems, SCADA systems (systems for
controlling real world elements like pipelines and generators, ie) or PBX
and other telecom systems that are network-connected ('Cyber'), but are not
Internet connected. I think it would be more appropriate to say something
along the lines of:
"Cyber security" means the protection of information, data and networks that
are part of the state's "Information and telecommunications technology
systems" as defined in a)

Re: Standards. It seems the EU and the European Commission have been
spending a lot of time investigating and looking into policy regarding open
formats for use by its constituent nations. Andy Updegrove's Standards Blog
is generally a good read ( http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/ ).
He recently posted about some EU action in his post "If IT Policy is Your
Thing, Keep an Eye on Europe" (
http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20101013065552508).
Regarding the EU, I also found the article "Europe wants an open
document
exchange format" on the NoOOXML site that links to a press release with some
of the EU study documents (
http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-268100/europe-wants-an-open-document-exchange-format).

Open Source for America is a organization geared toward getting greater
adoption and contribution to open source in the Federal goverment (
http://www.opensourceforamerica.org/).

And of course, let's not forget that OOXML isn't really an open standard. I
do not believe that it has changed that the OOXML implementation in Office
2007 and 2010 does not actually implement the adopted ISO standard, and even
the convener of the whole OOXML process claimed in April that he believes is
a failure ( Alex Brown: "Without action, the entire OOXML project is now
surely heading for failure" -
http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20100401074623393).
>From what I read of the wording here, I believe a case can be made for OOXML
not meeting the criterion of this legislature's wording.

Hope some of that is helpful.

-Shawn