Current compensation conditions

Michael ODonnell michael.odonnell at comcast.net
Mon Nov 22 13:23:11 EST 2010

I might be invited to join a team of developers on what they're calling a
"contract" basis (tho it'd actually be a W2 rather than 1099 relationship;
hourly, no benefits) and they've asked me to quote a rate.  As it's been
a while since I've had to dance this dance I wonder what other people
are seeing in the market WRT compensation trends - have the generally
depress{ed,ing} economic conditions affected engineering budgets to the
extent that it ought be considered a major factor when quoting rates?