syncing music between computer and smart phone

John Welch jrw3319 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 22:41:20 EDT 2010

Can you provide a little more info on what you mean by "sync the mp3's
on my computer to my phone"?  Is this a one-way sync, meaning the
source is always your computer or will you also be purchasing mp3's on
your phone and then want to sync those back to your computer as well?
Also, I notice that DoubleTwist seems to be tied in with iTunes, with
playlists, playcounts, ratings, etc.  I assume if you are running
Ubuntu on your laptop that iTunes isn't in the mix.  Is that correct?

For any type of folder syncing, not just music stuff, on Linux I
typically just use command-line rsync.  Very powerful, very simple to
use.  There are GUI front-ends to rsync, but I've never really used
them.

If I had a music folder on one of my Linux machines that I wanted to
sync to my Droid I'd just mount the Droid as a USB drive and then run
something like 'rsync -avz /home/<my login>/Music /media/USB1/<some
folder on Droid>/'

John