X failure after upgrade to Meerkat (Ubuntu 10.10)

Ken D'Ambrosio ken at jots.org
Sun Oct 17 10:59:36 EDT 2010

1) Most all X stuff is now autoconfigured.
2) On a Ye Olde text-based BBS I'm on, someone had the same issue -- he
simply deleted his /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, and lo!  Everything worked.
(Instead of deleting, I suggest renaming.)
3) I don't know what utilities exist these days to replace the xf86config
and XF86Cofig's of yore.  When I've needed to tweak to non-default
settings, I've been hand-editing after finding someone's similar xorg.conf
file online.  Feels like '94, all over again!

-Ken

P.S.  Note that there's every chance there *won't* be an xorg.conf file;
when one's not there, it just means that default autodetect values are
being used.

On Sun, October 17, 2010 10:39 am, Bruce Labitt wrote:
> Anyone know where the X stuff is hidden (umm, normally
> stored) in Ubuntu so I can get X to work again?
>
> Context: 10.04 machine, freshly updated, then took the bait
> of going to 10.10 last night.  (An auxilliary machine, nothing important on
> it yet.  Trying to get koha running on it.)  During the upgrade, there was
> a failure in downloading a chinese ttf font.  System claimed to recover by
> running dpkg --config -a and said all was ok. When it started for the first
> time I got the Ubuntu 10.10 splash - then much churning, and finally
> dumping to console.  The error that seemed to pop up was it could not find
> the nvidia driver. Despite the obvious reasons why nvidia s*cks, why would
>  10.10 decide to dump nvidia support?  The video card in
> question is OLD, but it is good enough.
>
> So how does one start the X configuration again?  IIRC,
> there used to be routines like xf86config, etc that could be used to
> reconfig X.  All I need to is to get the screen going again at some half
> decent resolution.  Eventually, it would be nice to have something like
> 1600x1080 or so.
>

> Or, since the driver seems to be missing, where to get it?
> IIRC since it was proprietary it needed to be downloaded
> differently, or from a different place.
>
> -Bruce
>

> --
> dangerous content by MailScanner, and is believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.