X failure after upgrade to Meerkat (Ubuntu 10.10)

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Mon Oct 18 22:46:12 EDT 2010

Bruce Labitt <bruce.labitt at myfairpoint.net> writes:

>   On 10/18/2010 12:43 PM, Benjamin Scott wrote:
> >    Something that hasn't been mentioned explicitly is that NVidia
> > periodically retires support for older cards.  When that happens, you
> > have to go to their "legacy" driver, which doesn't receive
> > enhancements.  I'd guess they may also retire support for really old
> > cards entirely.
>
> Any video suppliers that don't do this?  Or, to quote you,
> "they all s*ck"?

Well, ATI/AMD & Intel have both FOSS'd their drivers so that
the community can decide to pick them up and maintain them,
if need be, for as long as there's interest--possibly forever.

The viability of a company both keeping their drivers closed
and maintaining them (themselves) *forever* seems dubious.