X failure after upgrade to Meerkat (Ubuntu 10.10)

Bruce Labitt bruce.labitt at myfairpoint.net
Tue Oct 19 20:21:05 EDT 2010

  On 10/19/2010 8:02 PM, Joshua Judson Rosen wrote:
> bruce.labitt at autoliv.com writes:
>> gnhlug-discuss-bounces at mail.gnhlug.org wrote on 10/19/2010 11:15:35 AM:
>>>    In practice, the FOSS world isn't usually much better at maintaining
>>> support for older hardware.  Unsurprisingly, old software that almost
>>> nobody uses doesn't have many hackers interested in maintaining it,
>>> either.
>> Which brings me back to my observation, that while linux is better, than
>> say windows, for 'legacy' platforms, there comes a time to retire the
>> beast, because, no one is supporting the drivers for key peripherals.  I
>> was surprised that, at least for me, the party was over - and abruptly at
>> that!
> Did you try xserver-xorg-video-nv? If neither that nor nouveau works,
> and if your `old' machine is old enough to still have PCI slots be
> acceptible for a graphics card, I could probably give you a 3dfx card
> that would still work....
>
> I haven't actually used it myself in a couple of years
> (which is like forever, in terms of Ubuntu releases),
> but the driver appears to sill be live:
>
>      http://packages.ubuntu.com/maverick/xserver-xorg-video-tdfx
>
> I also have an ATI Radeon 9250 (also PCI) which I'm pretty sure is
> still supported (by the FOSS drivers--dunno about the proprietary ones,
> I never found a reason to try them), and which I might be willing
> to part with, though I've been considering using it myself
> as a replacement for an old inbuilt card that seems to be acting up....

Sorry for this obvious question.  How does one change the
active driver?  Just edit xorg.conf and put in nv?  What if
there isn't an active xorg.conf?  I renamed it so it would
not be used.  (What DOES X use if there is no xorg.conf?)

Does nv support the GeForce 2 MX/MX400?  That video card is
listed by Nvidia now as legacy.

I may take you up on the video card offer.  Naturally I need
to flail and froth about a bit before I give up!  Wouldn't
be right without a little suffrin'

-Bruce