Widget to manipulate parallel port signals ?

Michael ODonnell michael.odonnell at comcast.net
Wed Sep 8 15:25:07 EDT 2010

Anybody know of a (commandline or GUI) utility that I could use to
wiggle/sense the individual data/control lines of a parallel port?
I'd prefer that it operate using one of the standard drivers (like
parport_pc) via ioctls rather than poking around directly in I/O
or memory space at hardcoded addresses as I'd hope it'd be flexible
enough to work with either an integral "legacy" device or an add-in
device connected via PCI, USB, etc.

I found (but for the moment have misplaced the URL of) one that
appears to be somebody's homework project; it has a GUI that presents
the control/data lines separated into two clusters of buttons whose
color indicates current state and that you can click to change
their state, etc, etc, but it looked like I'd have to duplicate
his C++ development environment to get it working, so before I go
down that road I'm hoping somebody knows of one that'd be more of
a turn-key experience...