Android PMPs (was: Qi-Hardware Nanonote group purchase?)

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Thu Sep 9 09:00:53 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 11:05 PM, Benjamin Scott <dragonhawk at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 10:43 PM, Joshua Judson Rosen
> <rozzin at geekspace.com> wrote:
> > (Oh, and: is there a better shorthand than "PMP"? I keep reading
> > "android pimps", and it just... doesn't sit right...)
>
>   PIMEED.[1]
>
> -- Ben
>
> [1] Portable Individual Media Experience Enablement Device.  Now
> available with Genuine People Personalities!  Only from Sirius
> Cybernetics Corporation!

MID - Mobile Internet Device.  See SmartQ, CrunchTablet, even the Archos
devices.

PMP is a Portable Music Player.  Most MIDs can do music.

If the Palm PDAs had WiFi, they'd qualify as MIDs.  They may not have had
the functionality of today's Android devices, but they got the price point.
I'm not sure I'll ever buy a $400 tablet.