Koha - anyone do an install? MySQL question...

Bruce Labitt bruce.labitt at myfairpoint.net
Mon Sep 13 21:06:42 EDT 2010

  I am trying to install koha, an open source library
management system on my spouse's computer.  She wants to
evaluate it.

I'm following the instructions on
http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Koha_on_Ubuntu and I
need to understand what step C is really doing.

*Step #7 Create MySQL Database and grant all privileges to
the koha database to the specified user*

/[mysql]/ = Command that needs to be typed from within the
mysql program

/A. [cmd]/mysqladmin -uroot -ppassword create kohadata

/B. [cmd]/mysql -uroot -ppassword

/C. [mysql]/grant all on kohadata.* to 'root'@'localhost'
identified by 'password';

/D. [mysql]/flush privileges;

/E. [mysql]/quit;

In particular, what goes in 'root' and 'password'?  Am I
giving root privilege to kohadata?  Why would I want to do
that?  Right now, my spouse does not have admin privileges
on the system.  Can someone explain this to me?

Thanks!
Bruce