OT: CDMA Repeaters/Booster

Kenny Lussier klussier at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 11:38:42 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 11:02 AM, mark <prgrmr at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 10:55 AM, Mark Komarinski <mkomarinski at wayga.org> wrote:
>> Sorry for the OT, but this seems to be the best group to ask this
>> question of.  Well, I guess if I do get an answer, then I can *mumble*
>> firefox and *grumble* Ubuntu and *cough* ssh....
>>
>> My in-laws have a place in Central NY that gets you one bar on most
>> Verizon phones if you hold your arm out just..right..in one corner of
>> the house.  There's no Internet service there, so a pico/femtocell is out.
>>
>> Anyone have experience with repeaters or boosters over a small area to
>> improve the signal, preferably something that can be mounted outside?
>

> Give this a shot:
>
> http://www.ehow.com/how_4686145_improve-signal-strength-verizon-customers.html
>
> However, depending on the cell phone plan, you may incur roaming costs
> above your minutes consumption.

My last company had issues with cell reception. Given that we were
developing software for cell phones, it was a bit of a problem ;-) We
got a Wilson multi-band amlifier. There was an antennae that was
mounted on the roof of the building, connected by coax to the
repeater, and a broadcast antennae coming out the other side. It cost
about $300 at the time. We went from no signal to 4 bars instantly.
The roof-mounted antennae needs to have decent signal, though. In our
case, from the roof, there was line of sight to a tower.

HOWEVER.... This was for GSM (AT&T phones), and it was
900/1800/1900/2100. I'm not sure what it out there for CDMA. YMMV.

C-Ya,
Kenny