OT: CDMA Repeaters/Booster

Gerry Hull gerry at telosity.com
Wed Sep 15 16:32:59 EDT 2010

I have experience with both mobile and fixed amplifiers and systems.

Most of what I use is from a company called Wilson.  For the mobile, they
have a
cradle with a built-in 2w amplifier, a coax feed and a little mag mount
antenna which
goes on the roof of the car.   I commute from Nelson to Manchester, and
Verizon has
many holes, no matter the route.  95% of those holes are gone when I use the
amplifier; it's well
worth the $99 price tag.   The amp covers all three bands.

I am in the midst of helping a friend install a whole-house system at his
summer home in
Readsboro, VT, which has absolutely terrible cell coverage.    He wants data
as well as voice
coverage, so the amplifier must cover 1900MHz.  His whole-house system runs
about $600, which
includes an external omni-directional antenna, a 3w tri-band amplifier, and
a patch antenna for inside
the house.   He's gone from no-bars to 3+ bars using this system.  We are
putting a Yagi up to see
if we can get better data coverage, as the site he is hitting currently is
1XRTT; we would like 3G.
(3 miles vs 10 or so).

You can purchase smaller in-house systems, which use patch antennas that
mount on a window.

There are dozens of sites on the internet selling these systems.  www.*
cellphone*boosterstore.com is one.

By the way, I use my Droid with a free app called "Antennas" which will plot
on Google Maps what cell site
you're actually connected to.

Gerry