[FOSS] How does one respond to this line of questioning?

Jon 'maddog' Hall maddog at li.org
Fri Apr 8 13:50:29 EDT 2011

>Do you honestly give a snot if the machine testing you for Cancer is
>taking twice as long as it could if I'd implemented an innovating data
>analysys algorithm?

Interesting you should ask that particular question.

The first Beowulf system I ever physically saw was at the University of
Sao Paulo, in Brazil.  They were using it to reduce the processing time
of evaluation of a mammogram from twenty hours on a Sparcstation 20 to
ten minutes on the Beowulf.

It seems that in Latin America there is a lot of sexual emphasis put on
a woman's breasts.  Having a breast removed to help stay cancer is
something not taken lightly.

The doctors felt if they could have the results faster from the test
that they could capture the woman before she left the hospital and
schedule either further testing (of needed) or the operation (if the
news was really bad).

Once the woman had left the hospital to go back home, it was sometimes
very hard to get her to come back in again.

So, do you think I "give a snot"?  Sorry, I do.

md