Buying NanoNotes again--group purchase?

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Sat Apr 23 22:27:32 EDT 2011

Someone asked me this off-list, but I'm going to reply on-list,
for now, since someone else might be interested in the response...:

> what do you do w/ [your NanoNote] / use it for?
>
> Does it have wifi?

There's a µSD WiFi card available that can be used with it,
if you like that kind of thing (think back to when WiFi
for full-scale laptops came in the form of PCMCIA cards).

As I mentioned, my main use is as a (smart) portable music-player
(I have a smart robojockey running on it, along with a UI
that allows me to manually select tracks both by browsing
and by searching--both of which are really helped by the presence
of the keyboard; I'm drafting a longer explanation, right now...).
And my wife wants one just to use as a music-player
(`the problem I always have is that I hate queueing-up
 music manually', she says [and `shuffle' really kinda sucks :)].

I also have Guile, Python, and some other interpreters installed,
so I can use it basically as a `programmer's calculator' to solve
(or just help me think through) problems that would be awkward
or impossible with the more usual pocket calculators.

I'm in the middle of putting together patchsets for the
`audio player'-related work/packaging that I've done for it,
but there's a copy of my central `driver script', here:

    http://www.hackerposse.com/~rozzin/mpdjay

Mm. Maybe I should find time to go give a presentation at ManchLUG,
or something....

An alternate angle on the NanoNote would be, of course:

    Are you the sort of person who likes Lego Mindstorms?
    It's less expensive than Mindstorms :)

On that note, people more inclined toward hardware-hacking apparently
like to connect them to their arduinos via a `universal breakout-board'
µSD module that some guys in Spain are selling.