MV.com is shutting down May 1st

Ken D'Ambrosio ken at jots.org
Fri Apr 29 08:48:29 EDT 2011

On Thu, April 28, 2011 12:16 pm, Alan Johnson wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 4:15 PM, Benjamin Scott
> <dragonhawk at gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> This is a sad day.  Top-notch operations like MV dying out...

When I first moved up here in '93, I don't recall if I was with MV, or
NEARNet, or some odd combination of the two.  But I know when I started
working at my first "real" company up here, Summa Four in Manchester,
their "domain" was summa4.mv.com -- all our mail came in via those Telebit
modems over UUCP.  Shortly thereafter, I got ISDN BRI to my house, and
that *was* through MV.  Additionally, Summa Four lost one or two people,
including one terrific engineer, to MV's crew.  I remember seeing one of
MV's modem banks in someone's basement in P'boro -- I was somewhat in awe.

Sadly, the days of dialup ISPs have been on the wane for no small time;
it's a testament to MV that they've managed to keep things going as long
as they have.  My best wishes to all.

-Ken