Browsers

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Wed Aug 3 15:39:35 EDT 2011

"Jon \"maddog\" Hall" <maddog at li.org> writes:

> On Wed, 2011-08-03 at 14:42 -0400, Brian St. Pierre wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 11:23 PM, Bill Sconce <sconce at in-spec-inc.com> wrote:
> > >    1.
> > >    http://www.pcworld.com/printable/article/id,236944/printable.html
> > >
> > >    If you use Internet Explorer, your IQ might be below average--at
> > >    least, according to one study.
> >
> > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14389430
> >
> > Draw your own conclusions about IE users -- that "study" was a hoax...
>
> Interesting to see the number of "legitimate" news organizations that
> just swallowed the hoax and reported on it without checking into it at
> all.
>
> Makes you wonder about the authenticity of other "news items" reported
> by them.

Yes.

It's called "churnalism"--cf.:

    http://www.onthemedia.org/2011/mar/04/churning-out-pr/transcript/

    http://www.pbs.org/idealab/2011/03/churnalismcom-reveals-press-release-copy-in-news-stories068.html

    http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2011/04/21/135568766/everything-you-know-about-this-band-is-wrong

(that last one is particularly interesting: it's an NPR journalist saying,
 more or less, `it's the PR people's fault--their press releases lie to us!').

The news-media still generally report that `Linux still has yet to get
to even 1% market share', too--I want to know where they keep getting
*that* figure.