[OT] Broadband availability (was: Browsers)

Michael ODonnell michael.odonnell at comcast.net
Thu Aug 4 11:35:06 EDT 2011

> Holland, MA is roughly only a 90-minute haul from Boston and right
> off the Pike, and yet Union, CT is further down in the CT sticks
> and they had the cable service.  Not much rhyme nor reason to it
> up here, either.

There's baffling availability patterns in the `burbs as well
as out in the sticks.  In Chelmsford we got Verizon to agree
to do their FiOS buildout years ago but we still can't get it
at our place even though there are addresses less than a block
away in several directions that can.  I am, of course, grateful
that we are "lucky" enough to at least have the option of being
ComCast's captive market but it's infuriating that Verizon's
bureacracy/greed results in FiOS being so tantalizingly close
and that little bit of "choice" being just out of reach...