broke package management (warning long)

Jeffry Smith jsmith at alum.mit.edu
Sun Feb 13 21:55:24 EST 2011

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 1:35 AM, Lori Nagel <jastiv at yahoo.com> wrote:
> jastiv at localhost:~/Programs$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
> [sudo] password for jastiv:
> Setting up initramfs-tools (0.85eubuntu36) ...
> update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
>
> Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
> update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.30.7-libre-fshoppe1
> Cannot find /lib/modules/2.6.30.7-libre-fshoppe1
> update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-2.6.30.7-libre-fshoppe1
> dpkg: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1

Appears you have a boot image 2.6.30.7-libre-fshoppe1, but no
/lib/modules to match (somehow deleted or never installed).
initramfs-tools is attempting to create the initramfs, but can't find
the requisite modules.  Note that this would affect ANY kernel in boot
- whether installed by dpkg/apt or manually.  As Chris mentioned, you
can use dpkg -S to find out what installed them, if it was from a .deb
package.  After that you can re-install the kernel via dpkg, or delete
the kernel via dpkg (I assume you have another working kernel, since
you can boot the system - 2.6.30.7 is an old kernel, so you might want
to have a more recent one).  Once you have a /lib/modules for all your
kernels in /boot, rerun "sudo dpkg --configure -a" and you should have
a working system.

jeff