broke package management (warning long)

Jeffry Smith jsmith at alum.mit.edu
Mon Feb 14 03:17:51 EST 2011

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 8:48 AM, Lori Nagel <jastiv at yahoo.com> wrote:

> jastiv at localhost:/var/log$ dpkg -S /lib/modules/2.6.30.7-libre-fshoppe1
> dpkg: /lib/modules/2.6.30.7-libre-fshoppe1 not found.
>
> then I tried on a file I know was installed by the package manager.
>
> jastiv at localhost:/var/log$ dpkg -S /usr/share/gnome/help/gnect/it/figures
> gnome-games-data: /usr/share/gnome/help/gnect/it/figures
> jastiv at localhost:/var/log$
>
> basically the command does not work because the folder is no longer there for
> some reason.

Run "aptitude search linux-image" to see if you have a package with
linux-image-2.6.30.7-libre-fshoppe1 installed.  If the kernel was
manually installed and the /lib/modules deleted, you would have this
problem.  dpkg is failing because update-initramfs is trying to build
an initramfs for a kernel that doesn't have modules installed.

You can also run update-initramfs manually (sudo update-initramfs -k
all), and it should update all kernels you have, although will through
an error on the 2.6.30.7 one without the modules.  If there are still
problems, run "sudo update-initramfs -k <insert kernel name here>" to
just update one of the kernels in your boot directory.

Note that dpkg -S goes against the package cache/library, not the
directories.  It's most likely failing because this was a manually
installed kernel, not from a package.