Managing installs of Adobe Flash on Debian (was: Force apt-get to ignore dependencies?)

Benjamin Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 00:47:51 EST 2011

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 11:51 PM, Joshua Judson Rosen
<rozzin at geekspace.com> wrote:
>> Anyway, today at least, Adobe provides a .deb package:
>
> But there you've still got the `doesn't automatically update via APT'
> situation, don't you ...

  Yup, yup.  It's just cleaner than the "fire and forget" approach the
flashplayer-nonfree package uses.  At least the files and versions are
properly properly managed and reported now.  It's a big step closer.

> Or does Adobe actually have an APT archive, somewhere?

  It appears they may.  See "Installation instructions via APT" in the
link below.  Still working out the details myself.  (The .deb didn't
drop anything in sources.list.d.)

http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/productinfo/instructions/

> I see that they have an "apt:" URL in use `for Ubuntu 9.04+'  ...

  Where's this you see that?  :)

> (and it looks like your .deb is supposed to be `for Ubuntu 8.04+';
>  maybe that means `works with the Debian released in 2009', maybe not).

  I'm pretty sure the plus sign there is important.  They're just
establishing minimum acceptable version.  Again, Flash doesn't have
much in the way of specific external dependencies, in my experience
(although ldd on the binary suggests otherwise; things may have
changed again).

-- Ben