Looking for a tool for spreadsheet manipulation.

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Wed Jan 19 12:29:33 EST 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 12:17 PM, Steven W. Orr <steveo at syslang.net> wrote:

> On 1/19/2011 11:06 AM, Steven W. Orr wrote:
> > Sometimes I get lucky here. ;-)
> >
> > I have this horrible spreadsheet that needs to be accessed by lots of
> people
> > from all over the galaxy. Adding entries to the spreadsheet is painful
> because
> > it's manual.
>

> users get the files. There is currently a spreadsheet which contains
> columns
> of content description, version numbers and Build Solution numbers.
> Different
> people contribute to different sections of the spreadsheet. There might be
> linux section, one for winbloze, plus other more specific target platforms.
> Right now, everyone is using Excel from windows to add their entries. I
> don't
> actually know if using anything else (OOO, gnumeric, etc,) would cause
> unintended ripples to the files.
>
> All the devel work that I deal with is done from linux, but I get there
> mostly
> (currently) using W7, putty and cygwin X server.

So you guys have a shared spreadsheet that everyone opens and updates?

Let's move the foundation 3 feet to the right after you've built the house.

I'd suggest you convert it into a database with a web interface.  It can
scale to more users and make it harder for users to corrupt each other's
stuff.  The builds could automatically update it as they build.

Of course if not too many people use it, that might be as much of an issue.
 If you can put it into some kind of revision control or CMS that prevents
multiple users editing the file at once, that mitigates corruption too.

Spreadsheets are quick and easy to setup but hard to maintain.