Ubuntu... downgrade? (64-bit -> 32-bit)

Corey Richardson kb1pkl at aim.com
Tue Jan 25 22:20:04 EST 2011

On 01/25/2011 09:57 PM, Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:
> Hey, all.  I've got a big ol' RAID box that I use to store... well, pretty
> much everything.  Threw 64-bit Ubuntu on it, 'cause, well, why not?
>
> I now know why not.
>
> I'm afraid I've fallen into the portable device rage, e.g., my Droid-X.
> Nifty thing, it is -- even set it up with VPN, SIP through my job, and all
> sorts of other fun stuff.  Now I'd like to play video from my server on
> the phone.  Unfortunately, its media player is pretty useless -- far
> better to generate video from the server, and stream it, apparently.  But!
>  64-bit CODECs are also kinda lousy.  And it's not like I have a oodles of
> RAM -- 2 GB -- so dropping to a 32-bit system won't really harm anything.
>
> But Googling that doesn't really help much.  Any suggestions?  What I'd
> *love* to do is an "apt-get update;apt-get dist-upgrade", and be done with
> it.  Somehow, though, I'm thinking it won't be that simple.  I'd really
> like to avoid a full re-install -- a lot of configuration has gone into
> this silly thing, and, while I could backup /etc and pray that was enough,
> I'd prefer not to find out the hard way.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions,
>
> -Ken

I've never a run 32-bit linux on a 64-bit box. I've tried, don't get me
wrong (accidentally downloaded wrong disk image..whoops!), and it
doesn't work out. Nor have I gotten 64-bit linux onto a 32-bit box..How
DID you manage that? Unless of course you didn't, and you are merely
looking into switching. (I have no advice for you, just questions for my
own edification ;-)