Ubuntu... downgrade? (64-bit -> 32-bit)

Ken D'Ambrosio ken at jots.org
Tue Jan 25 23:40:57 EST 2011

On Tue, January 25, 2011 10:32 pm, Mark Komarinski wrote:
> On 1/25/2011 9:57 PM, Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:

> What are you using for streaming?  Even though my system is Debian
> running x86_64, I haven't had a problem finding libraries.  I ask mostly
> because I'd like to do the same thing with my Droid.  I haven't found a
> good app to do so yet.

VLC is the app on server-side, and "vlc stream & convert" is the Droid-X
VLC client.  I get server-side errors like
[0xd59f50] main stream out error: Failed to create audio filter
[0xd59f50] stream_out_transcode stream out error: Failed to find
conversion filter for resampling
[0xd59f50] stream_out_transcode stream out error: cannot create audio chain
[0xdf8a50] main decoder error: cannot create packetizer output (mp4a)

when I try streaming from my 64-bit box.  If I mount said directories from
a 32-bit box, and stream, it all works fine.

> Depending on the application you use and libraries you require, if you
> can find the application and the ia32 libraries the app needs, you can
> certainly run it on a 64-bit system.  I've done this before (again, on a
> Debian system) as you can get the ia32 versions of libraries, extract
> the libraries from the .deb, and install them by hand. I'd have to look at
> my notes to see what the rest of the process was, but I remember it was
> pretty straightforward after that.

Hmmm... might be worth looking into.  I mean, what's the worst that
happens?  I bork my system, and wind up doing a re-install.  Which is what
I'm looking at, anyway.  So, yeah -- I'll poke around and see what I can
make happen.

Thanks!

-Ken